Saturday, May 10, 2014

Lounging Around

Today I attended the Educators Lounge event in Dallas. It was held a an old theater called, The Lakewood. It was amazing!!! It took all but a moment to catch the cool vibe this venue held. I attended with my conference bestie, @cwatts27, who is not only a blast to be around, but also shares with me a passion for life-long learning!
The afternoon consisted of @thenerdytecher, sharing his message that students are silently begging us to challenge them. I see that everyday throughout the school building and I hope to challenge other educators to reach out to students, know them and build relationships with them! I heard @8amber8 speak about how important it is to be a connected leader in education. My take aways from Amber are, sharing is caring, focus on the verbs not the nouns and that campus VISION should permeate all aspects of your campus! That's good stuff, right??? And @tomwhitby shared that it is not the devices but the relationships that will be most meaningful. He also said that it is our "moral obligation" to share with other educators. Love this too!!!!
At this point it was time for a break before meeting back up and hearing from 2 local educators and how they are making a difference in their educational world.
We heard from Travis Allen, @ischooladvocate, who is a college student sharing the message of growing up in a digital world and not knowing a time without technology. Amazing to think about;) He shared, If You don't change, You'll never change Anything!!! I couldn't agree more. Be the change and LEAD THE WAY!!!   Next on list of greatness was @ArvinCBRoss. An amazing college student paving the way for youth mentorship and sharing the message that there is a creative genius inside all of us. His inspirational talk surely left me wanting to hear more about his journey.
And finally, @web20classroom, who shared his message that we need to think differently. No longer can we bury our head in the sand, we must stand up and do what's right for kids, and that educators must share with other educators. 
At this point the presentation piece of the day was over and Christie and I got a chance to share our 2 bits about the day... Thanks Christie for pushing me to get in front of the camera and #bebrave. The most amazing part was the networking at the end of the day... We lounged around with great folks and got to know @ArvinCBRoss...heard his story of overcoming adversity and how he is a mentor for youth today. He is definitely on my "Ones to Watch" list!!!
I learned a lot and have many great take aways! 

Would I attend another Educators Lounge? Absolutely!!!!

Have I inspired you enough to attend one? I do hope so;)

Just Lounge'N Around,

Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment